3.18.2010

key lime pie bars



These bars were really easy to make, even with Scarlett helping. I just had her run the food processor and shell the pistachios.  I don't know how much they embodied a key lime pie. The taste actually reminded me of my Grandma's "cheesecake" which isn't like a New York Cheesecake but more of a soft-set cheesecake. I wanted something campy and green for St. Patrick's Day but then I forgot to dye the batter. Oh well, the crust had some green pistachio and lime flakes in it. I originally found  this recipe on Martha Stewart's website only they were called "Lime Squares with Pistachio Graham-Cracker Crust." I tweaked them just slightly by adding a little more sugar to the crust and using key lime juice. I'm sure you could make them into a creamy lemon bar, or orange bar as well. 

Key Lime Bars
Crust:
1/2 stick of butter (4 TBSP)
2/3 cup shelled pistachios*
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lime zest

For the filling:
2 large egg yolks
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and brush with butter (leave a two inch overhang for easy removal.)

2. In food processor finely grind all crust ingredients (except for the butter.) Once ground add melted butter and press into pan. Bake 8-12 minutes until lightly browned and let cool for 30 minutes.

3. In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Then add key lime juice and also whisk until smooth.

4. Pour filling over cooled crust and then bake until set (around 15 minutes.) Remove from oven and let cool. Then chill for at least one hour before serving.

My Notes:
*The recipe says shelled pistachios. Is it just me or does shelled pistachios sound like it should still have the shell on?
I think these bars had a little to thick of crust. They weren't bad or too hard just a little too thick. I think you could also just make a basic graham cracker crust and leave the pistachios out and it wouldn't make that big of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment