2.21.2010

red velvet cookies

Disclaimer: This is a cookie glamour shot, said cookies were very ugly looking. 


Although I love my Grandma's Red Velvet Cake I hated these cookies. Maybe I just made them wrong? Maybe I just don't like Red Velvet cookies?  Maybe I just didn't like this recipe? Anyway you slice I found the recipe on the Food Network website. It was a Paula Deen recipe if you are so inclined to try it yourself. Just note she used a classic cream cheese frosting and I used my Grandma's flour-based one.


Red Velvet Cookies
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of red food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Then beat in the buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Once combined add the dry ingredients to wet. Mix until throughly combined.

4. Onto a parchment lined sheet tray, drop batter using an ice cream scoop, forming 2-inch round circles.

5. Bake for 10 minutes, until baked through. Cookies should be cake-like and light. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
Cook until thick add a pinch of salt and COOL completely
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Cream shortening and butter and sugar. Then add cooled flour mixture and beat until fluffy, make sure that the sugar is dissolved. It will take a long time for it to beat fluffy.

My Notes: I hated these cookies. I don't know what I did wrong. They have to be better than I made them. They just had to, they were that bad. I doubled the recipe, not that it would change the tasted just a factoid for me to remember.




No comments:

Post a Comment