3.18.2010

bars


During March I wanted to make a bunch of green themed cookies in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I was thinking some type of key-lime pie variety, a couple of chocolate-mint flavored ones and at my brother-in-laws request a lemon-lime swirl. But I never got around to any of it. So yesterday, on the actual day of St. Pat, Scarlett and I painted our fingernails green and got down to some cookie baking business.

We made key lime pie bars. Which brings me to a serious question should bars even be considered cookies? I've been looking through a lot of cook books and they always seem to put the two in the same section. But aren't bars more like cakes? I mean they both usually need to be cut with a knife and all the dough/batter is baked at once, in one pan. Unlike cookies- which don't usually need a knife and are baked individually. So I'm not sure what the defining characteristic of a cookie is. It's portability? It's roundness? Mobility? Or individuality? Because many bars once baked and sliced are just as portable as a regular cookie. I don't think the same can be said of cake. Cakes also require forks, whereas bars usually don't. So bars are kind of mutant cookies and Frankenstein cakes. They just don't fit in anywhere. I guess they are hybrids of both. I just don't know whether they should be allowed on a cookie blog? However, for the time being I will let it slide. So, bars you are being given a temporary and provisional pass which will be re-evaluated when I can once again walk without waddling.

Scarlett had surgery today. Her green fingernail polish was a big hit with the nurses. One of her nurses was a red-headed girl that was about five inches shorter than me. I'm pretty sure she was a leprechaun. She would have loved our key lime pie bars, except we forgot to dye them green as originally planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment