5.01.2010

not derby pie cookies



One day this week I dropped the remote while I was feeding the baby- because of this error I was forced to watch the craft and cooking segments of a local morning show. They were making their version of Derby Pie.* Which is supposed to taste like a giant chocolate chip cookie pie. I thought but how could I make those into bona fide cookies? My first thought was to just use my mini muffin tins and make tiny cookie pies using a pie crust. But my mini muffin tin is in storage and those would still technically be considered pies not cookies. So I swapped the pie crust for cookie dough and the mini tin for a regular muffin tin voila! Not Derby Pie Cookies. 


Not Derby Pie Cookies
Cookie Crust:
1 batch of chocolate chip cookie dough (um, yeah I just bought some pre-made stuff)

Filling:
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Line muffin tins with papers and  spray with cooking spray to avoid sticking. Roll a little more than 1/2 of your cookie dough flat and press in to each muffin tin like a pie crust. Fill each tin with about a tablespoon of filling. Roll remaining cookie dough out and cover each cookie pie with a cookie lid (but I tried one without and it's not necessary if you'd prefer them roofless.) Cook for about 20 minutes or until centers are set. Best served warm.


My Notes:
*Apparently the name Derby Pie is trademarked- and the owners will sue. So people have to make up other names like "Kentucky Derby Pie" to pretend like it is something different. But I think just adding "not" to the beginning should pass basic legal muster, right? Yipes people! It's just a pie.

I can't attest to how accurately this represents a traditional Derby Pie-like taste. But if you like gooey cookie dough you'll love this. The outside of the cookie pie is just a traditional chocolate chip cookie and the inside tastes like a melted chocolate chip cookie. You'll need a spoon to eat it gracefully.

If I were to ever make this again, I'd make homemade vanilla ice cream to go on top of it (kind of like an extreme cookies and milk thing.) It's like a cobblerized version of a chocolate chip cookie.

1 comment:

  1. Where's the bourbon?! Real Kentucky Derby pie has bourbon in it, otherwise it's just a chocolate-pecan pie.

    I like the idea of making these into cookies, though. Will definitely give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete