2.11.2010

the perfect combo.

I was a little strapped for time on Ruby's birthday. She was her kindergarten classes V.I.P. for the day. Which meant I had to go in with a Ruby-centric poster and tell 25 kindergarteners what made Ruby a "Very Important Person" in our family. I told them how when she was born she was so tiny she fit in her Daddy's hand and then I passed around her itty-bitty clothes and they laughed at how little they were. I told them how she was a good big sister and that she played soccer and does gymnastics and ballet. The class then took turns giving Ruby compliments like "You have pretty hair", "You are funny", "You are nice."

Then I passed out the store-bought, pre-packaged treats. I would have brought some of Ruby's favorite peanut butter kiss cookies but you aren't allowed to bring peanut butter to school. In fact you aren't allowed to bring homemade treats at all. It's kind of weird how strict and politically correct it has gotten (note: I'm not undermining peanut allergies here, just all of the other little rules.) I remember having school holiday parties where almost all of the treats were homemade. But then again I also remember the teacher sending the two Jehovah's Witness girls out in the hall to do homework while the rest of us ate and played games. So maybe a bit more sensitivity was needed?

It's fun to see Ruby at school. I like seeing into the world she's creating outside of my control.
The next night at Parent Teacher Conference her teacher said to me "Ruby is so beautiful. I mean honestly don't you think so?"
I said "Well yeah. But I'm a little biased- I made her."
"Well I'm not biased. She's gorgeous."
I agreed and thanked her.
Her teacher continued "She's as beautiful as she is kind. That's really a rare combination."

As a Mom I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm glad she is pretty, but I'm proud she is kind. She's the kind of kid who doesn't want gifts for herself. On Christmas morning she cried half-way through opening her presents because she "has too much stuff. I need to give it to the kids who don't have any thing." She always donates her money to charity and this year for her Birthday she didn't want presents just s'mores and a pinata.

I've always thought of chocolate and peanut butter as one of the most perfectly simple culinary combinations. So I guess it's fitting that's it's Ruby's favorite cookie. She's the perfect combination of everything good and I love her.

4 comments:

  1. Ruby is SO gorgeous!!! I love the perfect combo, peanut butter/chocolate description, because she's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, that post made me cry. she's so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a fun new blog...it's too bad i am blocked out of the other one now. :( no more blog stalking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    I love this post. Ruby is wonderful and kind and beautiful, just like her Mother.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete