2.10.2010

top 'o the morning to ya!


This week I tried to find an "Irish" cookie recipe. You see my sister-in-law Amanda loves Ireland so much she married it. Well not Ireland but a real Irishman named Mark. Mark is a really nice guy and every time I see him I manage to say something stupid. Most notably the time I asked him if they have ultrasounds in Ireland. But like I said Mark is a nice guy, the kind of guy who graciously accepts Uncle Sam nutcrackers as gifts.

After looking at pages and pages of leprechaun and four-leaf clover sugar cookies I decided on "lace cookies." But honestly the authenticity of my Irish cookie recipe is as accurate as a random Google search. Maybe the Irish don't eat lace cookies anymore than we Americans do. But I figured they were worth a try.

I've been eying lace cookies for a couple weeks. They just looked so intimidating especially when my previous knowledge of them was from a food article titled Ladies Who Lunch. Ladies who lunch wear fancy clothes, munch on Brie, plan charity balls and apparently like to eat lace cookies. But me? I'm the kind of lady who's lunch usually consists of flip-flops and  cutting the crust off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Nonetheless it is just a cookie and even a cookie enjoyed by the fancy shouldn't be intimidating. So I made them and imagined all of the Irish stereotypes, drunks and leprechauns, side-by-side enjoying them with me.

Mark and Amanda will be coming back to the States for a wedding reception sometime this Spring. My new refined cookie palate tells me I should probably start thinking of something fancy to get them. But don't be surprised if I just get them that classy, plush, Statue of Liberty M&M I saw Mini-Golfing last year.

Either way! Congrats and three cheers for my new Irish in-laws!


2 comments:

  1. by the way, next time we are at to lunch, remind me to run my next charity ball idea by you.

    I love munching on brie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet that you made Irish cookies for us! You were right though, lace cookies are a very traditional recipe (unlike corned beef). We can't wait to see you guys, we'll be in Utah in less than two weeks (Saturday after next) and we will be expecting that Statue of Liberty M&M. We couldn't possibly go back to Ireland without it. J/K :) Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete