2.22.2010

love songs for a teddy bear


Nic and I have an agreement that neither of us, should ever, under any circumstance purchase or gift the other one a stuffed animal. Not on Birthdays. Not on Anniversaries. And not even on Valentine's Day. Never. Ever. We are adults, we have no room in our lives or hearts for lovable stuffed creatures. We feel the day we start seriously giving them to one another is the day we've stopped loving each other.

So with the exception of stuffed animals I'm one of those people who loves everything about Valentine's Day. I know it's one great, big, giant commercial holiday. But I love it. The hustle, the bustle and all the unnecessary traditions which a made-up holiday embodies. I just like the feeling of celebration.

Thursday and Friday the girls had their respective school Valentine's parties. They each came home with their doily decorated bags of love-centric, sugar-laced loot and freely shared their good fortune with everyone in the family. I loved watching all of the kids running out of the elementary school with giant grins and equally-big sized Valentine boxes. They were so happy, so in the moment. Nobody had ruined it for them yet, it wasn't commercialized it was just pure love and joy over a box full of heart-shaped snacks.

Saturday night I packed  up my cliche Valentine's Day cookies and we headed to our friends Chip and Becky's Valentine's party. It was a good party. We even passed out Valentine's and participated in a Valentine's box competition. I had spent so much time on my cookies that I neglected my box. About an hour before the party the girls and I just glued a bunch of junk to a big box. This party is what I love about holidays, even manufactured ones. Because all holidays really are is just a good excuse for a bunch of people who love and care about each other to sit around a table and laugh. And what's not to love about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment