1.20.2010

mama's boys


Yesterday after Nic got home from work I fed him a couple of my chocolate chip cookies.

I anxiously waited for his approval. Yet I got nothing.

Excited about my new pet project I asked what he thought about them, his response was "You made them? I thought they were those Nestle ones."

"Nope. All me." I said  "I brought some over to Steven, Leah and baby Jack too. They were my first official batch of cookies."

"Meh. They were okay." Was his final verdict.

I wasn't shocked.

Nic's a real mama's boy when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. The best pastry chef in the world could make him a chocolate chip cookie out of the finest ingredients known to man and I'm confident his response would be "Meh. It's okay, but my Mom's are better."

I've never been know for my cookie making-prowess (which is part of the reason I've started this project.) But  one thing I know for sure is that no matter how many batches I make my husband's cookie heart will never be swayed he'll always be a mama's boy when it comes to chocolate chip cookies.

I know a lot of men have at least a small culinary Oedipus complex. Mother and wife could pair up side-by-side with the same recipe in hand and many-a husbands could still pick his Mom's mashed potatoes, crepes, or in my case chocolate chip cookies out of the line-up.

I wanted to start my cookie adventure with a big, fancy bang. But instead I started with the most fundamental of cookies, the treat that in one sense (at least in terms of pleasing my audience) will always be my Everest. And that's okay, I'll admit defeat. Because home-baked chocolate chip cookies are the quintessential treat of a happy childhood, and who better deserves the honor of most-loved cookie than ones own Mother?

Besides in two short months I'll have my own son to mold into a culinary mama's boy.

1 comment:

  1. so you have seen little jack! we need to talk soon, I want to hear all about the visit.

    This blog is going to be a hit, I love the first entry the best.

    ReplyDelete